· 2 pounds yellow squash, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 1 cup saltine crackers, crumbled
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
· 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped, or buttered bread crumbs
Place the squash, onion, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add a small amount of water. Cover and cook the squash until tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary. Drain the squash and onions; return to the pan and stir in the butter. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to your taste.
Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish well. Stir the crumbled crackers into the squash mixture, and turn into the buttered casserole. Pour the milk over the squash and sprinkle with the cheese and chopped pecans or crumbs. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until the milk is absorbed and the squash casserole is bubbly.
For exclusive content on other kosher foods from Israel, click here.