· 3 tbsp olive oil
· 34lb russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
· 2 12 cups green cabbage, chopped, 14 of small head
· 1 onion, chopped
· 8 cups canned vegetable broth
· 6 2 inch beets, peeled and chopped
· 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes, drained
· 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
· Low-fat sour cream
· Freshly chopped parsley
Heat oil in heavy large pot, over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion and sauté until cabbage softens, for about 5 minutes. Add 8 cups broth, beets and tomatoes. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, for about 30 minutes.
Working in small batches, puree 4 cups of soup in blender; return to remaining soup in pot. If desired, add more broth by 1/2 cups to thin soup. Add lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of sour cream; sprinkle with parsley.
To browse WOJ exclusive content on other Israeli Kosher Foods, click here.