· 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
· 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
· 1/2 to 1 pound boneless beef short ribs, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks
· Pepper, to taste
· 3/4 cup pearl barley
· 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
· 1/3 cup dried navy beans
· 1/3 cup dried cranberry beans
· 3 cups chicken or beef broth
· 2 tablespoons honey or molasses
· 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
· Salt to taste.
Line the bottom of a crockpot with the potatoes, the onion and then the short ribs, sprinkling the meat with pepper to taste. Scatter the barley and the beans on top, and then pour on the broth and the honey or molasses. Sprinkle with the paprika and salt to taste. Add enough water to cover all the ingredients.
Cook on low for 12 to 15 hours, stirring occasionally adding more water if necessary. The longer the cholent cooks, the better it will be.
For information on other kosher foods to snack on during Shabbat, click here.